The Producers Guild offered up their 2013 theatrical motion picture, animated motion picture and long-form television nominations a day earlier than expected. Among the nominees for the 2013 Producers Guild Awards only one real surprise catches my eye, which is the nomination for Skyfall, which may in fact serve as the final nail in the coffin that now holds Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master. Otherwise, the other nine are the same films I have listed in the top ten of my Best Picture predictions.
Originally the PGA noms were expected to be announced tomorrow, but with Oscar nomination voting extended to Friday, perhaps the producers felt they would take the opportunity to add a little influence where they felt it was needed most as the nomination for both Beasts of the Southern Wild and Moonrise Kingdom are good to see and helpful for the cause. I am, however, now thinking we are looking at nine nominees with The Master no longer part of the equation.
I have to wonder, could have Joaquin Phoenix's comments hurt not only his chances at an Oscar, but the film overall?
Looking at the animated contenders, Brave, Frankenweenie, Wreck-It Ralph and Rise of the Guardians are four of the films I have predicted for Best Animated Feature with ParaNorman taking the place of Le Tableau and, to that point, I have to assume Le Tableau may not have even been considered along with other GKIDs acquisitions.
I have listed the film and television nominations below. The 2013 Producers Guild Awards will be handed out on Saturday, January 26.
- Argo (Warner Bros.)
- Beasts of the Southern Wild (Fox Searchlight)
- Django Unchained (The Weinstein Company)
- Life of Pi (20th Century Fox)
- Lincoln (DreamWorks)
- Les Misérables (Universal)
- Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features)
- Silver Linings Playbook (The Weinstein Company)
- Skyfall (Sony Pictures)
- Zero Dark Thirty (Sony Pictures)
- Brave (Disney•Pixar)
- Frankenweenie (Walt Disney Studios)
- ParaNorman (LAIKA/Focus Features)
- Rise of the Guardians (DreamWorks Animation)
- Wreck-It Ralph (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- "Breaking Bad" (AMC)
- "Downton Abbey" (PBS)
- "Game of Thrones" (HBO)
- "Homeland" (Showtime)
- "Mad Men" (AMC)
- "30 Rock" (NBC)
- "The Big Bang Theory" (CBS)
- "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
- "Louie" (FX)
- "Modern Family" (ABC)