We took last Friday off, but we are back with our regularly scheduled Tuesday episode of the RopeofSilicon podcast and unlike most Tuesdays, this week we have a couple of reviews having missed the opportunity to talk about The Croods and Olympus Has Fallen. Additionally we have new DVDs and Blu-rays to discuss, the Box Office Challenge, your questions and voicemails, games and more.
Also, one quick side note, this coming Friday's podcast may or may not happen. I will be out of town and will do what I can to get it done, but we may have to go one more Friday without a podcast.
I want to remind you that you can call in and leave us your comments, thoughts, questions, etc. directly on our Google Voice account, which you can call and leave a message for us at (925) 526-5763, which may be even easier to remember at (925) 5-BNL-POD. Just call, leave us a voice mail and we'll add those to the show and respond directly.
An alternative to that option is a new way of leaving us a voicemail directly from your computer. Just click here and no matter where you live in the world, all you need is a microphone and Internet connection and you can leave us a voicemail. Look forward to hearing from you!
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-00:51 - Introduction
- 00:52-1:55 - Our NCAA brackets
- 1:56-3:55 - Show notes
- 3:56-5:35 - Anna asks, "Why all the hate on Babel Laremy?"
- 5:36-6:22 - #GoodTweet Music
- 6:23-13:41 - Box-Office Challenge Update (chart below)
- 13:42-23:21 - DVDs and Blu-rays
- 23:22-29:31 - The Croods review (read Brad's review here)
- 29:32-37:18 - Olympus Has Fallen review (read Brad's review here)
- 37:19-45:45 - [Listener Voicemail] Timothy - TV vs. Movie Character Development
- 45:46-51:38 - [Listener Voicemail] Albert - Re-reviews
- 51:39-54:53 - [Listener Voicemail] Kyle - Best/Worst moments of the podcast
- 54:54-55:42 - [Listener Question] I hear a lot of talk about how VOD is taking over and the theatrical model is dying. Do you think that at some point in the future we will no longer be able to see films on the big screen and will have to settle with a really nice TV? [Baca]
- 55:43-59:23 - [Listener Question] A lot of movies have other distributors internationally than in the U.S, how does this effect the box-office for that movie..considering the fact these distributors are paying for the movie..do these distributors make deals with production companies or are they buying all the rights in these territories ? [Cordia]
- 59:24-1:02:35 - [Listener Question] Is there a film you enjoy purely - or mostly - for the visuals? And I'm referring to films with plots rather than films like "Samsara" and "Baraka." [Good Grief]
- 1:02:36-1:05:12 - [Listener Question] With musicians like Adele contributing toSkyfall and Trent Reznor teaming up with David Fincher for his scores, what popular musicians/bands would you guys like to see tackle a film score? [zacksparrow]
- 1:05:13-1:17:10 - Over / Under
- 1.5 animated films in 2013 gets a B+ score from Brad & Laremy [Ron ONeal Fresh]
- 1.5 Oscars for Jeremy Renner [Corbin]
- 3.5 months until "gotta catch a bus" lady is brought up again [Corbin]
- B- Cinemascore for Spike Lee's "Old Boy" [Ron ONeal Fresh]
- B- by Brad for Man Of Steel [Aidan]
- A- by Brad for The Wolf Of Wall Street [Aidan]
- A- CinemaScore for G.I. Joe: Retaliation [Kessler]
- 3 years until 3D is phased out for good [Zacksparrow]
- 10 years until Blu-Ray is similar to vinyl: Only the hardcore collectors buy it [Zacksparrow]
- $300 million domestic gross for Man of Steel. (Superman Returns was around $200 million) [Kessler]
- 1:17:11-1:20:16 - Buy or Sell
- Laremy sees John C. Reilly security guard in the wild again
- 42 is nominated for one Oscar
- A G or PG movie wins BP in the next 10 years
- Liam Neeson ever gets an Oskar [Corbin]
- At least two big blockbusters (something that goes past $100 million) that aren't officially on the
- schedule yet, get a release date for the second half of the year.
- 1:20:17-1:29:59 - Playing the Percentages
- % chance you thoroughly enjoy "The Desolation of Smaug", not just hearing "Smaug" for 2 hours [Ron O'Neal Fresh]
- % of your interest in "Anchorman: The Legend Continues" [Ron O'Neal Fresh]
- % chance CinemaScore and Cheetara end up doing their own twice weekly movie podcast but with better singing and two eagle screech intro's [andyluvsfilms]
- % chance Man of Steel makes 1 billion worldwide [Anna]
- % chance this year's winner of the Palm d'Or is from the USA [Anna]
- % chance Leonardo DiCaprio never wins an Oscar [Zacksparrow]
- % chance Tarantino is never nominated for an Academy Award again [Zacksparrow]
- % RT rating for G.I. Joe: Retaliation [Kessler]
- % chance that Despicable Me 2 is better than Monsters University [Kessler]
- % chance Laremy makes a movie reference while speaking at Brad's wedding. [Ingmar]
- 1:30:00-1:31:58 - #GoodTweets
- 1:31:59-1:37:54 - Closing
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.
Spring 2013 Movie Box-Office Draft
Brad vs. Laremy
|The Last Exorcism Part II||Mar 1||$5m||$15m||$2.5m|
|21 and Over||Mar 1||$13m||$24.1m||-$8.3m|
|Jack the Giant Slayer||Mar 1||$195m||$119.5m||-$397.9m|
|The Call||Mar 15||$13m||$31.5m||-$1.3m|
|Olympus Has Fallen||Mar 22||$70m||$30.3m||-$144.6m|
|Tyler Perry's Temptation||Mar 29|
|Evil Dead||Apr 5||$15m|
|The Big Wedding||Apr 26|
|Oz the Great and Powerful||Mar 8||$215m||$355.8m||-$181.6m|
|Dead Man Down||Mar 8||$30m||$10.6m||-$64.3m|
|The Incredible Burt Wonderstone||Mar 15||$30m||$17.4m||-$57.5m|
|The Croods||Mar 22||$135m||$106.2m||-$231.2m|
|The Host||Mar 29||$44m|
|G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Mar 28||$185m|
|Scary Movie 5||Apr 12||$45m|
|Pain and Gain||Apr 26||$22m|
The Spring 2013 Movie Box-Office Draft competition involved both Brad and Laremy "drafting" ten films each in hopes of scoring the largest net total by taking a film's worldwide gross subtracting two-and-a-half-times the reported budget. The film must be released in March and April of 2013. The draft took place on March 1, 2013 during the RopeofSilicon Podcast which you can listen to right here.
Listed above is all the most recent data as of this post. Budgetary information is not necessarily accurate and will most likely not be accurate until closer to or after each film's release.