Welcome to this Friday's episode of the RopeofSilicon Radio Show as Laremy and I are joined by Kevin Jagernauth from The Playlist to review The Amazing Spider-Man 2, along with that Laremy and I review Locke starring Tom Hardy, discuss some thoughts on advice for young film critics, answer your questions, play some games and yes, another dramatic reading, this time of a young adult adaptation synopsis.
NOTE:, this is a premium episode requiring a paid subscription, which you can obtain right here at Libsyn.com, or through our Android or Apple applications. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found here.
ALSO: If you were having issues with the Apple application, delete it from your device and download it again and it will hopefully be fixed. If not, use the Troubleshooting link in the app to alert Libsyn of the issues you're having.
If you are on Twitter, we have a Twitter account dedicated to the podcast at @bnlpod. Give us a follow won'tcha?
I want to remind you that you can call in and leave us your comments, thoughts, questions, etc. directly on our Google Voice account, which you can call and leave a message for us at (925) 526-5763, which may be even easier to remember at (925) 5-BNL-POD. Just call, leave us a voice mail and we'll add those to the show and respond directly.
An alternative to that option is a new way of leaving us a voicemail directly from your computer. Just click here and no matter where you live in the world, all you need is a microphone and Internet connection and you can leave us a voicemail. Look forward to hearing from you!
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-00:54 - Introduction
- 00:55-8:04 - Show notes and nonsense
- 8:05-9:03 - [Listener Question] How worried are you about alienating those that can't pay/won't pay for the premium podcast episodes [andyluvsfilms]
- 9:04-10:24 - [Listener Comment] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird in New Hampshire [Casey Wittner]
- 10:25-11:05 - "The Simpsons" Lego Episode
- 11:06-12:08 - Box-Office Challenge Update (chart below)
- 12:09-18:57 - Blockbuster Breakdowns (source)
- 18:58-29:35 - "How to be a Critic" article from RogerEbert.com [via Disco Paco]
- 29:36-51:27 - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 review (read Brad's review here)
- 51:28-1:00:55 - Locke review (read Brad's review here)
- 1:00:56-1:02:17 - [Listener Question] Do you guys check out marketing for films after you've seen them, either out of curiosity or to see how good/bad it is? [Corbin]
- 1:02:18-1:03:38 - [Listener Question] Would you rather see in film industry implode within the next few years or see it go in the direction as it is going? [JN Films]
- 1:03:39-1:05:28 - [Listener Question] Obviously some articles and reviews are going to generate a lot of comments from your readers (Star Wars casting, superhero reviews, etc). Can you remember an article or review where you were genuinely shocked by the amount or type of response you received? [StephanieB]
- 1:05:29-1:07:02 - [Listener Question] Why are you so down on Gone Girl, guys (I include you, Laremy, because you agree with Brad for everything Oscar-related)? It seems like one you guys would jump all over, given Fincher and the amazing book (seriously great book), so I'm confused as to why you haven't. [Corbin]
- 1:07:03-1:13:42 - Over / Under
- 40% RT score for Blended [Magill Foote]
- 30 total minutes of screen time 'Godzilla' gets [Laremy]
- 15 years until another female directed film crosses $1 billion worldwide [StephanieB]
- 15 people listening to the first premium podcast at the time it airs [robotsrule]
- 2.5 offspring of Brad or Laremy produce in the next 10 years [Almostfilmcritic]
- 1.5 big league games 'Million Dollar Arm' shows the protagonists playing in [Laremy]
- $100 million 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Opening Weekend [Laremy]
- 1:13:43-1:16:47 - Buy or Sell
- A post credit scene from Godzilla will reveal something about a DNA sample or some incubated eggs [andyluvsfilms]
- Disney releases a live action film for each of their princesses or the corresponding villains. [StephanieB]
- X-Men: Days of Future Past will out-gross The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [Magill Foote]
- Another Star Wars property besides the main movie franchise will get a movie before the new trilogy concludes - for example, the animated Clone Wars cartoon, the Ewoks franchise, etc. [Magill Foote]
- A movie released before October 1st will be nominated for Best Picture. [Almostfilmcritic]
- 1:16:48-1:19:09 - Playing the Percentages
- % chance Reven8e is still played regularly at the Brevet household [Corbin]
- % chance US reaches the second round of the 2014 World Cup [Almostfilmcritic]
- % chance either Solo, Skywalker or Leia is killed off in the next three films [andyluvsfilms]
- % chance 'Neighbors' is in the top 3 highest grossing comedies of 2014. [Laremy]
- 1:19:10-1:23:15 - A dramatic reading
- 1:23:16-1:25:01 - #GoodTweets
- 1:25:02-1:27:02 - Closing
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
Paid subscribers can listen to this episode directly below or on our Apple iOS application, Android application or by logging into your Libsyn.com account and downloading it here. A teaser of this episode will be published on iTunes.
To download the .mp3, paid subscribers can find this episode here, just log in to your Libsyn.com account, click on the episode and a download link will be available.
Summer 2014 Box-Office Draft
Brad vs. Laremy
|A Million Ways to Die in the West||May 30|
|Edge of Tomorrow||Jun 6|
|22 Jump Street||Jun 13|
|Think Like a Man Too||Jun 20|
|Step Up All In||Jun 25|
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||Jun 27|
|Dawn of the Planet of the Apes||Jul 11|
|The Purge: Anarchy||Jul 18|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles||Aug 8|
|The Expendables 3||Aug 15|
|The Amazing Spider-Man 2||May 2||$225m||$155m||-$407.5m|
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23|
|The Fault in Our Stars||Jun 6|
|How to Train Your Dragon 2||Jun 13|
|Planes: Fire and Rescue||Jul 18|
|Sex Tape||Jul 25|
|Jupiter Ascending||Jul 25|
|Guardians of the Galaxy||Aug 1|
The Summer 2014 Movie Box-Office Draft competition involved both Brad and Laremy "drafting" ten films each in hopes of scoring the largest net total by taking a film's worldwide gross subtracting two-and-a-half-times the reported budget. The film must be released in May through August 2014. The draft took place on April 29, 2014 during the RopeofSilicon Podcast which you can listen to right here.
Listed above is all the most recent data as of this post. Budgetary information is not necessarily accurate and will most likely not be accurate until closer to or after each film's release.
The outro music on this episode is Clint Mansell's "In the Wall Side 2" courtesy of Death Waltz Recording Company.