Laremy is in California and joins today's podcast from a FedEx Kinko's as we bring you the Friday edition of the RopeofSilicon podcast in which we (well I) review The Cabin in the Woods and Lockout (since Laremy didn't see either of them) on top of all the recent news including The Avengers premiere, the Catching Fire director issues and your questions and over/under suggestions.
On top of that there are several random bits thrown in here and there including my thoughts on the first three episodes of HBO's "Veep", which premieres on Sunday, April 22.
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-1:12 - Introduction and Laremy is at a Kinko's in California
- 1:13-8:19 - Laremy was on FilmDrunk.com's Frotcast and did a Summer Box-Office Draft
- 8:20-10:12 - New iTunes reviews
- 10:13-15:23 - Early reviews for The Avengers (read 'em here)
- 15:24-20:12 - Who will direct The Hunger Games sequel, Catching Fire
- 20:13-21:21 - What if Forrest Gump had an end credits scene and he was lying the whole time?
- 21:22-27:52 - What's the purpose of reading? (and people didn't know the Titanic wasn't a real thing)
- 27:52-29:52 - [Listener Question] Why do you think there is such a disparity sometimes between critics and general moviegoers opinions of a movie? [G-Man]
- 29:53-31:10 - [Listener Question] With so many blockbusters during the summer, what is the movie with the best chance to "win the weekend" 3 times in a row this summer? [Sean]
- 31:11-31:47 - [Listener Question] Does the failure financially of John Carter make The Lone Ranger an even bigger risk for Disney? [darnoc]
- 31:48-35:41 - The Cabin in the Woods Review (my review here)
- 35:42-38:10 - Random potty joke aside
- 38:11-46:22 - Lockout Review (my review here)
- 46:23-48:14 - Weekend box-office predictions
- 48:15-49:38 - [Listener Question] When taking notes, what is the first thing you look for in a movie? [Chris]
- 49:39-49:53 - [Listener Question] How did you guys get be movie critics? [Driver]
- 49:54-50:57 - [Listener Question] Do you find it easier to properly express your opinions on a given film by writing a full review, or simply by doing so in a conversation, such as when you discuss it on the podcast? [Mason Williamson]
- 50:58-52:16 - [Listener Question] Do you feel that most long movies (generally 3+ hours) could be shorter, or that they deserve their long running time? [Criterion10]
- 52:17-1:04:20 - Over / Under
- B- the lowest grade Brad gives to a movie that ends up being nominated for Best Picture Oscar at next year's ceremony. [The Colleague]
- B (A-) Cinemascore for The Avengers [Drew]
- 12 Number of years after The Dark Knight Rises is released that a new Batman franchise goes into production [G-Man]
- 0.5 Non-Avatar James Cameron movies that gross more than $1 billion worldwide in the future [G-Man]
- 1.5 oscar wins for Paul Thomas Anderson. [Ben]
- .5 oscar wins for Joseph Gordon-Levitt [Kyle Coley]
- 2 more years for the podcast to continue [Mason Williamson]
- 13 years until Wes Anderson gets nominated for Best Director? [Sean]
- 2 weeks until Laremy's wife makes him cut his hair. [American Thighs]
- 1:04:21-1:07:16 - #Good Tweets - Laremy's egotistical Twitter thing
- 1:07:17-1:07:59 - Sin City 2 gets the greenlit
- 1:08:00-1:09:44 - "Arrested Development" movie may begin filming this summer
- 1:09:45-1:13:02 - Brad watched the first three episodes of HBO's "Veep"
- 1:13:03-1:15:22 - Closing and prize winner
- 1:15:23-1:17:00 - Epilogue and Laremy's singing
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.