A successful Tuesday edition of the podcast as Laremy comes to us from Dublin and we spend a little time discussing what was going on last week around Laremy in his Ireland castle environment before getting into Iron Man 3 casting, superhero box-office battles, new DVDs and Blu-rays, your questions, over/unders and I have a little story to share at the end that you won't be able to predict.
We pull all of this off in a matter of 82 solid minutes so I hope it makes up for Friday's truncated episode.
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-4:42 - Introduction and Laremy explains his Ireland situation from last episode
- 4:43-6:56 - iTunes reviews and a concern that was raised
- 6:57-10:05 - Jessica Chastain and potentially Andy Lau to join Iron Man 3
- 10:06-13:59 - The Dark Knight Rises vs. The Avengers vs. The Amazing Spider-Man box-office
- 14:00-15:21 - New DVDs and Blu-rays
- 15:22-17:33 - [Listener Question] What do Movie theaters such as regal have to do to get back in good graces, with you guys or just in general? [Kyle Coley]
- 17:34-22:49 - [Listener Question] Is there really an clear "best comedy of all time" due to people's taste? In fact, why is there one single best film of all time? [Harry Fuertes]
- 22:50-25:19 - [Listener Question] What "Best Films of All Time" list do you believe is the most true? [Harry Fuertes]
- 25:20-26:35 - [Listener Question] What would film be like if Citizen Kane was never made? [Harry Fuertes]
- 26:36-28:50 - [Listener Question] Do you think a studio will ever greenlight a sequel to a book-to- movie franchise without the original author writing it? [Rach]
- 28:51-30:12 - [Listener Question] Supposedly, The Dark Knight Rises should have over an hour of IMAX footage. It's been over 40 years since the format was first introduced, and still there are great challenges in working with it. Do you think we'll ever get a completely, 100%, made-in-IMAX movie? Not documentaries, but a major motion picture. [the colleague]
- 30:13-37:54 - [Listener Question] Assuming The Avengers is as good as early reviews make it out to be, do you see Marvel bringing Joss Whedon back for the sequel or will they hire someone else, like they've done with all their other movies, sans Iron Man 2? [the colleague]
- 37:55-49:17 - Over / Under
- 3.5 years until HBO starts charging a separate fee for HBO-GO so people can subscribe to use only their online service. [Kristen K.]
- 1.5 years until we see J.K. Rowling's new book "The Casual Vacancy" adapted for film (Book release date: Sept 27, 2012) [Kristen K.]
- 10 years until a gay-themed film wins Best Picture [Elijah]
- 27 Number of weekends for the remainder of 2012 that Laremy predicts the #1 weekend domestic box office movie (36 weekends remaining) [G-Man]
- 0.5 Wide-release Toy Story sequels we will see in the future. [G-Man]
- 4.5 years before a Japanese animated feature is nominated again in the animated category [salaryman]
- 0.5 Best Actor nomination for Ryan Gosling in a Nicholas Winding Refn film [salaryman]
- 0.5 Marvel movies starring only Hawkeye and/or Black Widow [Timmy]
- 95 percent for The Avengers on RT [Alex Thomas]
- 14 years until a Documentary is nominated for Best Picture [Sean]
- 49:18-51:49 - [Listener Question] What is, in your opinion, the main purpose of film reviews and what should people do of them? [Darth Agnan]
- 51:50-56:02 - [Listener Question] What is the best film festival out there? [Kyle Coley]
- 56:03-58:06 - [Listener Question] With the Cannes talk and Laremy's Battleship in Ireland quandary, I realized that I've never seen a movie in another country. Are there any notable differences in the moviegoing experience abroad compared to the US? [Timmy]
- 58:07-59:27 - [Listener Question] Subtitles vs dubbing when watching foreign movies. Where do you stand? [the colleague]
- 59:28-1:02:34 - #Good Tweets - Laremy's egotistical Twitter thing
- 1:02:35-1:12:35 - Brad has a little story
- 1:12:36-1:14:04 - Closing
- 1:14:05-1:22:00 - Epilogue (yeah, it's a long one)
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.