Like all our episodes this one pretty much touches on everything from what happened over the weekend as Brad went to a Mariners' game and the casino, to all the latest movie news including rumors of an Die Hard 6, David Fincher dropping out of directing Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs biopic, the Blended trailer, the weekend box office results, new DVDs and Blu-rays and much, much more.
If you are on Twitter, we have a Twitter account dedicated to the podcast at @bnlpod. Give us a follow won'tcha?
I want to remind you that you can call in and leave us your comments, thoughts, questions, etc. directly on our Google Voice account, which you can call and leave a message for us at (925) 526-5763, which may be even easier to remember at (925) 5-BNL-POD. Just call, leave us a voice mail and we'll add those to the show and respond directly.
An alternative to that option is a new way of leaving us a voicemail directly from your computer. Just click here and no matter where you live in the world, all you need is a microphone and Internet connection and you can leave us a voicemail. Look forward to hearing from you!
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-00:49 - Introduction
- 00:50-6:41 - Show notes
- 6:42-9:58 - Brad got an email
- 9:59-14:57 - More show notes and listener asides
- 14:58-15:58 - Blended
- 15:59-23:47 - Brad went to the baseball game and then to the casino
- 23:48-25:05 - Samuel L. Jackson returning for Die Hard 6?
- 25:06-28:21 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier follows The Avengers movie box office trend and Box-Office Challenge Update (chart below)
- 28:22-30:00 - Laremy's travels
- 30:01-37:13 - David Fincher Will Not Direct Sorkin's Steve Jobs Biopic
- 37:14-42:59 - On DVD & Blu-ray This Week
- 43:00-45:01 - [Listener Question] If you guys were to write a script together and had to pick a director for your project, who would it be and why? [Colton Anderson]
- 45:02-48:26 - [Listener Question] I know that a lot more people probably watched Entourage than ever watch Veronica Mars, but do you think with the lackluster Veronica Mars numbers that Warner Bros. might be rethinking their decision to green light the Entourage movie? I know people loved the show, but I just don't see that doing big box office numbers. [Justin Golding]
- 48:27-1:02:50 - Over / Under
- $250 million worldwide for Wally Pfister's Transcendence [Mykael]
- 50 paid subscribers by the posting of the first premium podcast [AlmostFilmCritic]
- 10 years until a woman directs herself to a Best Actress Oscar nom [Brodie D.]
- 3 Academy Award noms for Gone girl [robotsrule]
- 1.5 Oscar noms for Boyhood [Ron Oneal Fresh]
- 1.5 The number of horror movies Laremy will watch this year [kclaw31]
- D- Cinemascore for Film Critic: The Movie [Hudsucker]
- 1:02:51-1:17:17 - Buy or Sell
- Brad be taking the Smurfs 3 [andyluvsfilms]
- Brad and Laremy will be more open to criticisms from listeners who pay. [Alexander T.]
- Star Wars: Episode VII becomes the highest-grossing film of all-time, dethroning Avatar ($2.78 billion) [Brodie D.]
- Christopher Nolan will never win a competitive Oscar [Brodie D.]
- There's an episode where you guys don't say the words "Marvel" or "superhero" [Hudsucker]
- The Aaron Sorkin penned Steve Jobs biopic enters production. [AlmostFilmCritic]
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2's opening shall be the least in the franchise. [Mykael]
- 1:17:18-1:23:14 - Playing the Percentages
- % chance Christopher Nolan has a female as the protagonist within his next 3 films [Mr_Mercury]
- % chance I can convince my wife to let me sign up for the premium podcasts after dropping $20 on the yearly website subscription [AlmostFilmCritic]
- % chance Brad wears Shia LaBeouf's paper bag over his head for his appearance in "Film Critic: The Movie" [Alexander T.]
- % chance a film comes out that's called 'Untitled Vince Vaughn Project' [andyluvsfilms]
- % chance Emma Watson gets an Oscar nomination in her lifetime [Guthrie]
- % chance Avengers: Age of Ultron makes more money domestically and worldwide than the first Avengers movie [BishopSummers]
- 1:23:15-1:25:15 - RT Quote's Game (Michael Phillips edition)
- "How/why/wherefore did it turn out this way? The evidence suggests a combination of hubris, errant revisionism, a misguided and perverse degree of violence, and a script that never worked in the first place."
- "This isn't just the funniest PG-rated animation in too long; it's the funniest film, period, in months..."
- 1:25:16-1:27:28 - #GoodTweets
- 1:27:29-1:32:23 - Closing
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
You can also download the audio from this episode in .mp3 format by right-clicking here and saving it to your computer.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.
Winter 2014 Box-Office Draft
Brad vs. Laremy
|Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit||Jan 17||$60m||$134.2m||-$15.7m|
|I, Frankenstein||Jan 24||$68m||$71.1m||-$98.8m|
|3 Days to Kill||Feb 21||$28m||$35.9m||-$34m|
|300: Rise of an Empire||Mar 7||$110m||$328m||$53m|
|Mr. Peabody & Sherman||Mar 7||$145m||$248.3m||-$114.1m|
|Need for Speed||Mar 14||$66m||$185.7m||$20.7m|
|A Haunted House 2||Apr 18|
|Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones||Jan 3||$5m||$86.3m||$73.8m|
|The Legend of Hercules||Jan 10||$70m||$44.4m||-$130.5m|
|Devil's Due||Jan 17||$7m||$32.7m||$15.2m|
|That Awkward Moment||Jan 31||$8m||$26m||$6m|
|The LEGO Movie||Feb 7||$60m||$424.8m||$274.8m|
|The Grand Budapest Hotel||Mar 7||$16m||$103.7m||$63.7m|
|Muppets Most Wanted||Mar 21||$50m||$60.5m||-$64.4m|
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier||Apr 4||$170m||$476.5m||$51.5m|
|Rio 2||Apr 11||$103m||$163.6m||-$93.8m|
The Winter 2014 Movie Box-Office Draft competition involved both Brad and Laremy "drafting" ten films each in hopes of scoring the largest net total by taking a film's worldwide gross subtracting two-and-a-half-times the reported budget. The film must be released in January through April 2014. The draft took place on December 13, 2013 during the RopeofSilicon Podcast which you can listen to right here.
Listed above is all the most recent data as of this post. Budgetary information is not necessarily accurate and will most likely not be accurate until closer to or after each film's release.