It's Abraham Lincoln's birthday and we're celebrating with our regularly scheduled Tuesday edition of the RopeofSilicon Podcast. Today you know we're talking about new DVDs and Blu-rays, squeeze in some Oscar talk, mention a new Esquire article concerning Zero Dark Thirty and the Navy SEAL that shot bin Laden, your voice mails, a new catchphrase game, your questions and much, much more.
Now that it's live, I want to remind you that you can call in and leave us your comments, thoughts, questions, etc. directly on our Google Voice account, which you can call and leave a message for us at (925) 526-5763, which may be even easier to remember at (925) 5-BNL-POD. Just call, leave us a voice mail and we'll add those to the show and respond directly.
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-00:43 - Introduction
- 00:44-15:00 - Random bits
- 15:01-17:31 - More on the R-rated comedy conversation
- 17:32-22:50 - Zero Dark Thirty talk and the "Esquire" article
- 22:51-25:47 - [Listener Question] I thought it was interesting that Brad and Laremy both think that Iron Man 3 will get hammered because that's what usually happens in a series of films. I'm not saying that's not true, but I think the third Harry Potter film was one of the best reviewed in the series, right? [Jennifer]
- 25:48-27:30 - [Listener Question] Will we lose all DVD stores? Or will they go the opposite way and start dropping pricing or more exclusive sales and promos like Amazon Prime? [Sam]
- 27:31-31:04 - [Listener Question] What film started your film obsession? Or was it a gradual thing after watching several movies that made films your passion? [RagingTaxiDriver]
- 31:05-32:35 - [Listener Question] I wanted to start watching the director works of greats like PTA and the Coen Brothers and it got me thinking. What do you think is the better way to watch films of a specific director? Do a film marathon session or space them out to think about the themes more in depth? [TJ]
- 32:36-37:37 - [Listener Question] What franchise out there has the best fans? [Justin]
- 37:38-40:09 - [Listener Question] What are your favorite LGBT films? [David Gaillardetz]
- 40:10-48:18 - [Listener Question] One criticism I had about 'Side Effects' is its possible homophobia. I say "possible homophobia" because in the past couple of months, we've seen a number of movies and TV shows that depict gay people as villains or doing villainous things, i.e. 'Skyfall' and the new FOX series 'The Following'. [marlonwallace]
- 48:19-49:45 - [Listener Question] I am going to be taking a film class at my high school next year and we are going to be watching films like Citizen Kane, Rear Window, Sunset Boulevard, etc. Honestly , I have not seen any of these films. We are going to have to give immediate reactions to the movies right when they are done. Should I watch these films before taking the class or watch them for the first time in the class? [Scott]
- 49:46-56:02 - [Listener Question] As you know, The National Film Registry is the United States National Film Preservation Board's selection of films for preservation in the Library of Congress. Movies that are worthy to be remembered and are considered to be cinematic achievements are picked every year to be added to the list. If you were to pick a handful of movies from the 21st century (2000-2012) to be added to the registry, what movies would they be? From the top of my head for me it would be Inception, Avatar and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy. Maybe even Django Unchained, but that movie needs more time to be considered to be put in the hall of fame. [Nav]
- 56:03-1:01:15 - [Listener Voicemail] Stu - The Ben Affleck "snub"? Why?
- 1:01:16-1:08:45 - If Argo wins, bad for Academy?
- 1:08:46-1:10:42 - New DVDs and Blu-rays
- 1:10:43-1:14:39 - Box Office Challenge Update (see chart below)
- 1:14:40-1:17:40 - [Listener Voicemail] Ingmar #1 - Was anything lost moving into color from black-and-white
- 1:17:41-1:19:42 - [Listener Voicemail] Trishana - Actor that could not act, but now we think they can?
- 1:19:43-1:20:40 - [Listener Voicemail] Garrett - What are Laremy's favorite movie dogs?
- 1:20:41-1:24:11 - Over / Under
- 1.5 more seasons of "House of Cards" [TJ]
- 3.5 Oscar wins for Lincoln [David Gaillardetz]
- 4 Oscar nominations for Bennett Miller's 'Foxcatcher' [Xarnis]
- 5 Oscar nominations for Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah' [Xarnis]
- 1.5 years till Jonathon Levine's next film [JN Films]
- 3 years until Brad shows his face to the internet [Scott]
- 1:24:12-1:27:03 - Buy or Sell
- Brad is not in touch with his emotions. [David Gaillardetz]
- By 2020 they will be allowed to include harsh 'expletives' in movie titles (i.e. "Tyler Perry's Madea makes another s***y movie" [JN Films]
- Ellen Page could be the next Ben Affleck in terms of actor turned director with very good movies in the filmography. [Nav]
- Side Effects is considered a top five Soderbourgh film.
- When watching the Oscar telecast, if 'Lincoln' wins Best Film Editing then it's a lock for Best Picture [Xarnis]
- Steven Soderbergh's comeback movie is Ocean's 14 [Xarnis]
- Side Effects snags an Oscar nomination. [David Gaillardetz]
- The producers go back and rename The Last Exorcism, "The Penultimate Exorcism"
- "House of Cards" gets picked up by HBO/Showtime for its second season instead of being streamed exclusively on Netflix [TJ]
- 1:27:04-1:32:43 - Playing the Percentages:
- % chance a minority director male or female wins an Oscar in 2014 [Trishana]
- % chance Daniel Day-Lewis gets a fourth Best Actor Oscar win (I think it is safe to assume he has his third). [David Gaillardetz]
- % chance that 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' exceeds your expectations [Xarnis]
- % chance that Harrison Ford returns as Han Solo in one of the Star Wars films (He played a senior citizen in Crystal Skull) [JN Films]
- % chance Brad and Laremy win an Oscar. (Hint: Write a screenplay. It worked for Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.) [Flewellen]
- % chance that within the next year, Laremy equivocates and Brad crushes it? [Nick Smith]
- % chance that the Podcast Mansion becomes a reality. [IngmarTheBergman]
- % RT for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. [Henry]
- % RT Score for Transformers 4 [JN Films]
- % of people listening to the podcast that are female [Manu]
- 1:32:44-1:34:55 - Guess the Film Based on Its Catchphrase [via the colleague]
- "Life's a pic-a-nic"
- "Raise the woof"
- "You'll know when you're in it"
- "The future begins"
- 1:34:56-1:36:49 - [Listener Question] Some questions from Alex Thomas
- 1:36:50-1:40:37 - #GoodTweets
- 1:40:38-1:43:02 - Closing
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.
Winter 2013 Movie Box-Office Draft
Brad vs. Laremy
|Promised Land||Jan 4||$15m||$7.5m||-$29.9m|
|The Last Stand||Jan 18||$45m||$27.6m||-$84.8m|
|Movie 43||Jan 25||$6m||$22.9m||$7.9m|
|Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||Jan 25||$50m||$127.8m||$2.8m|
|Stand Up Guys||Feb 1||$15m||$2.7m||-$34.7m|
|Side Effects||Feb 8||$30m||$9.3m||-$65.6m|
|Beautiful Creatures||Feb 13||$65m||$0|
|Escape from Planet Earth||Feb 14||$0|
|A Good Day To Die Hard||Feb 14||$100m||$0|
|Dark Skies||Feb 22||$0|
|Texas Chainsaw 3D||Jan 4||$20m||$34.1m||-$15.8m|
|Gangster Squad||Jan 11||$60m||$87m||-$62.9m|
|Broken City||Jan 18||$35m||$19.2m||-$68.2m|
|Warm Bodies||Feb 1||$30m||$45.1m||-$29.8m|
|Bullet to the Head||Feb 1||$55m||$8.2m||-$129.2m|
|Identity Thief||Feb 8||$35m||$34.5m||-$52.9m|
|Safe Haven||Feb 14||$0|
The Winter 2013 Movie Box-Office Draft competition involved both Brad and Laremy "drafting" ten films each in hopes of scoring the largest net total by taking a film's worldwide gross subtracting two-and-a-half-times the reported budget. The film must be released in January and February of 2013. The draft took place on December 21, 2012 during the RopeofSilicon Podcast which you can listen to right here.
Listed above is all the most recent data as of this post. Budgetary information is not necessarily accurate and will most likely not be accurate until closer to or after each film's release.