Man, we asked for your questions and you delivered and we did our best to answer them all, which as a result may not be the best thing to do since this latest episode of the podcast is LOOONG! How long? Try over 101 minutes long. Yeah, I can't handle that much of Laremy let alone myself. So, we apologize for the length and we will do our very best to get it back to closer to that hour-long range next week.
However, as for this week's topics, obviously you guys provided more than enough for us to discuss and a certain gentleman by the name of Gabriel won this week's best topic when he asked "If you each had to pick 5 films that aren't in the National Film Registry that should be on next year's list, what would they be and why?" Granted we didn't necessarily answer the question as asked, but I really liked the topic, though it was certainly not easy to choose. And so Gabriel will be taking home the "The Art of The Adventures of Tintin" book and Gabriel, I have sent you an email so just reply with your address and we'll have that out to you soon.
Other topics included my brief comments on The Devil Inside, film criticism, a look at the Oscar race, primarily where Bridesmaids stands after a sudden surge, a discussion on Jeremy Renner's recent rise to action stardom and several of your topics from "Can movie theaters be saved?" to guilty pleasures, "Who should take over for David Fincher if he doesn't come back for The Girl Who Played with Fire?" and much more.
It's a loaded episode and, again, I apologize for the length, but I hope you're able to find some enjoyment.
As for next Tuesday, we will be taking topic suggestions in the comments below and the one we determine to be the best will win a copy of "Making of the Motion Picture: War Horse" and four War Horse coffee mugs. So ask your questions below and I hope you enjoy today's episode.
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-5:52 - Introduction and "The Book of Mormon"
- 5:53-11:52 - The Devil Inside review
- 11:53-25:29 - Is film criticism dying... again?
- 25:30-34:50 - The Oscars, the trailer and Bridesmaids
- 34:51-38:11 - Kathryn Bigelow's next movie (more info), Jeremy Renner and Benedict Cumberbatch is the Star Trek 2 villain
- 38:12-44:15 - Not one of Brad or Laremy's top ten movies were in the top 20 at the domestic box-office
- 44:16-46:03 - HBO refusing to sell DVDs to Netflix
- 46:04-1:28:00 - Listener Topics
- "If you had an unlimited budget and total creative freedom, what movie would you remake?"
- "Who do you think is a good fit for Girl Who Played With Fire if Fincher walks?"
- "Can movie theaters be saved? If so how?"
- "Movie going horror stories."
- "What movies have we walked out of?"
- "Dream director pairing?"
- "If you each had to pick 5 films that aren't in the National Film Registry that should be on next year's list, what would they be and why?"
- "Guilty pleasures/the dreadful films you love to see again and again"
- "Do people only see films because of the names attached, and when is it a sign that someone who is currently a big star (Taylor Launter, for example) is beginning to lose his momentum?"
- "Generally when I notice a film has three or more Oscar winners/nominees in the cast, the more disappointing a film seems to be."
- "If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to say your three favorite movies, what would you say?"
- 1:28:01-1:38:11 - Closing and Critics Choice Awards
- 1:38:12-1:41:54 - Epilogue
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.