It's our Friday episode and that means reviews, which include looking at Joel and Ethan Coen's Inside Llewyn Davis and Out of the Furnace. We also take a lengthy look at the 2014 Oscars with some predictions on the heels of the first round of precursor awards, talk about the Wonder Woman casting in Batman vs. Superman and the continuation of the X-Men franchise with X-Men: Apocalypse.
A quick reminder of our upcoming Holiday Schedule where we will be taking a break from December 16-26, returning on December 27.
If you are on Twitter, we have a Twitter account dedicated to the podcast at @bnlpod. Give us a follow won'tcha?
I want to remind you that you can call in and leave us your comments, thoughts, questions, etc. directly on our Google Voice account, which you can call and leave a message for us at (925) 526-5763, which may be even easier to remember at (925) 5-BNL-POD. Just call, leave us a voice mail and we'll add those to the show and respond directly.
An alternative to that option is a new way of leaving us a voicemail directly from your computer. Just click here and no matter where you live in the world, all you need is a microphone and Internet connection and you can leave us a voicemail. Look forward to hearing from you!
As always, I have broken down this episode on a minute-by-minute basis if you would like to skip ahead and below I have featured the information on how to download the podcast, find us on iTunes or merely just listen in your browser.
- 00:00-3:12 - Introduction
- 3:13-8:36 - Show notes
- 8:37-20:40 - Inside Llewyn Davis review (read Brad's review here)
- 20:41-31:40 - Out of the Furnace review (read Brad's review here)
- 31:41-34:13 - X-Men: Apocalypse coming in 2016
- 34:14-41:51 - [Listener Question] Wonder Woman casting in Batman vs. Superman. Underlying topic: female representation in Hollywood. [Silrian]
- 41:52-59:17 - 2014 Oscar talk
- 59:18-1:02:40 - Richard Corliss' Top Ten of 2013 (find it here)
- 1:02:41-1:09:17 - [Listener Questions] End of Year Lists
- When working on your 'Worst of' lists, do you give preference to bigger studio movies? For example, will you give movies like IDENTITY THIEF and PAIN & GAIN more scrutiny than minor releases like GETAWAY or PARANOIA? [AlmostFilmCritic]
- Do either of you look at your colleagues' "Best of" and "Worst of" lists after you finish yours? [AlmostFilmCritic]
- What process do you go through when compiling your best and worst-of lists at the end of the year? [TheOneWhoKnocks]
- 1:09:18-1:12:19 - [Listener Question] Do you think remakes are inherently bad? People often bash remakes as being unnecessary, and many of them are, but is there anything wrong with remaking a film? And how can a remake be done "correctly?" [Xarnis]
- 1:12:20-1:17:57 - Over / Under
- B+ for the 'World War Zimmerman' episode of South Park [Carlos]
- B+ for American Hustle [Chris]
- $100 million domestic gross for Monuments Men [AlmostFilmCritic]
- 3.5 movies on which you two differ on your respective Top 10 of 2013 [the colleague]
- 2 Weeks until Brad's Best Picture favorite changes [Alex]
- 1:17:58-1:20:35 - Buy or Sell
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is better than The Amazing Spider-Man [Chris]
- Chris Pine plays Jack Ryan more than once.
- A LEGEND OF ZELDA movie ever gets made.[AlmostFilmCritic]
- Laremy will love AMERICAN HUSTLE. [TheOneWhoKnocks]
- The Oscar Best Picture winner is part of the Top 10 films of the National Board of Review.
- 1:20:36-1:27:10 - Playing the Percentages
- % chance Lone Survivor is nominated for Best Picture [Aidan Khan]
- % chance of there ever being a three-hour episode [Mitch]
- % chance a movie with an RT score below 60 percent ever wins Best Picture again [TheOneWhoKnocks]
- % chance the "Mortal Instruments" sequels actually get made [B. Smith]
- % of the podcast during which Laremy is playing games on his iPhone, Android or similar touchscreen device [Magill Foote]
- % of people who like Spike Lee's Oldboy more than the original [Xarnis]
- % the results of National Board of Review and NY Critics affected 12 Years a Slave chances at winning Best Picture [Disco Paco]
- 1:27:11-1:29:02 - #GoodTweets
- 1:29:03-1:32:43 - Watch this Watch that: Low Re-Watch-Ability vs. Low Quality Edition [JN Films]
- 12 Years a Slave or The Notebook
- Shame or Scary Movie 5
- Blue Valentine or Valentine's Day
- The Place Beyond the Pines or Sharknado
- 1:32:44-1:35:30 - Closing
Finally, I do have one quick request. If you could give us a review on iTunes it would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Apple's iTunes randomly checks for updated episodes, so sometimes the latest episode may not be immediately available in iTunes.
Fall 2013 Box-Office Draft
Brad vs. Laremy
|Ender's Game||Nov 1||$110m||$84.9m||-$190m|
|Inside Llewyn Davis||Dec 6|
|The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||Dec 13||$166m|
|Tyler Perry's A Madea's Christmas||Dec 13|
|Anchorman: The Legend Continues||Dec 20|
|Walking with Dinosaurs||Dec 20|
|The Secret Life of Walter Mitty||Dec 25|
|August: Osage County||Dec 25|
|47 Ronin||Dec 25|
|Insidious: Chapter 2||Sep 13||$5m||$155.4m||$142.9m|
|Battle of the Year||Sep 20||$20m||$14.1m||-$35.8m|
|Machete Kills||Oct 11||$20m||$15m||-$34.9m|
|Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa||Oct 25||$15m||$135.6m||$98.1m|
|Last Vegas||Nov 1||$28m||$78.4m||$8.4m|
|Thor: The Dark World||Nov 8||$170m||$592.7m||$167.7m|
|The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Nov 22||$130m||$583.2m||$258.2m|
|Saving Mr. Banks||Dec 13|
|American Hustle||Dec 13|
|The Wolf of Wall Street||Dec 25|
The Fall 2013 Movie Box-Office Draft competition involved both Brad and Laremy "drafting" ten films each in hopes of scoring the largest net total by taking a film's worldwide gross subtracting two-and-a-half-times the reported budget. The film must be released in September through December 2013. The draft took place on August 20, 2013 during the RopeofSilicon Podcast which you can listen to right here.
Listed above is all the most recent data as of this post. Budgetary information is not necessarily accurate and will most likely not be accurate until closer to or after each film's release.