The Writers Guild of America announced their nominations for the 2013 Writers Guild Awards this morning and while several screenplays were not eligible for a variety of reasons, the nominations do offer a bit of a boost for some fringe contenders looking to find their way into the Oscar conversation.
As far as the screenplays that were ineligible, in the Original Screenplay category, Oscar contenders such as Amour, Django Unchained, The Impossible and The Intouchables were not eligible. In the Adapted category, Anna Karenina, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Les Misérables and Rust and Bone were among the ineligible contenders opening the door for some films that may not have otherwise had a chance.
Among the films that benefit in the Original category, Rian Johnson's screenplay for Looper gets another boost after winning with the National Board of Review and Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom continues its great week with a nomination after being nominated by the Producers Guild earlier this week.
In the adapted category, Stephen Chobsky's screenplay for The Perks of Being a Wallflower gets a chance to shine and while it will likely be left out of the Oscar nominations in its respective category, this certainly does help raise its profile.
I have listed all of the nominees in Original, Adapted and Documentary screenplays below along with links to download those that are available online. For additional downloadable Oscar contending scripts click here.
The 2013 Writers Guild Awards will be held on Sunday, February 17, 2013, during simultaneous ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York.
- Flight, Written by John Gatins; Paramount Pictures [Download the Script]
- Looper, Written by Rian Johnson; TriStar Pictures [Download the Script]
- The Master, Written by Paul Thomas Anderson; The Weinstein Company [Download the Script]
- Moonrise Kingdom, Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola; Focus Features [Download the Script]
- Zero Dark Thirty, Written by Mark Boal; Columbia Pictures
- Argo, Screenplay by Chris Terrio; Based on a selection from The Master of Disguise by Antonio J. Mendez and the Wired Magazine article "The Great Escape" by Joshuah Bearman; Warner Bros. Pictures
- Life of Pi, Screenplay by David Magee; Based on the novel by Yann Martel; 20th Century Fox
- Lincoln, Screenplay by Tony Kushner; Based in part on the book "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Doris Kearns Goodwin; DreamWorks Pictures [Download the Script]
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Screenplay by Stephen Chbosky; Based on his book; Summit Entertainment [Download the Script]
- Silver Linings Playbook, Screenplay by David O. Russell; Based on the novel by Matthew Quick; The Weinstein Company [Download the Script]
- The Central Park Five, Written by Sarah Burns and David McMahon and Ken Burns; Sundance Selects
- The Invisible War, Written by Kirby Dick; Cinedigm Entertainment Group
- Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God, Written by Alex Gibney; HBO Documentary Films
- Searching for Sugar Man, Written by Malik Bendejelloul; Sony Pictures Classics
- We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists, Written by Brian Knappenberger; Cinetic Media
- West of Memphis, Written by Amy Berg & Billy McMillin; Sony Pictures Classics