Let's say for a second we all agree Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables), Sally Field (Lincoln) and Helen Hunt (The Sessions) will be nominated for Best Supporting Actress on Thursday morning. You may think one or more of those ladies won't make the cut, but for argument's sake let's just say they will all be nominated, leaving us with two spots to fill... Who gets in?
Realistically, I see it down to five names -- Amy Adams (The Master), Maggie Smith (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), Nicole Kidman (The Paperboy), Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) and Ann Dowd (Compliance).
Now you have to assume an actress would need to be listed in the top three on the nomination ballots. Let's also remember these nominations are decided by the Actors Branch of the Academy, which may mean you will look at the 2013 Screen Actors Guild Award nominations for a little help... Here's those nominations:
- Sally Field (Lincoln)
- Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
- Helen Hunt (The Sessions)
- Nicole Kidman (The Paperboy)
- Maggie Smith (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel)
The 2013 Golden Globe nominations were similar with Adams getting in over Smith. Looking at the Critics Choice nods they also didn't nominate Smith, but did nominate Adams along with Judi Dench (Skyfall) and Dowd. They, of course, nominated six actresses, which doesn't exactly make it a fair comparison.
If you ask me, I think Adams is in for a nomination so I'm only really looking to fill that fifth slot and I can't decide between Smith, Kidman, Weaver or Dowd as it's easy to make a case for each, but right now I want to know what you think.
I have listed nine names below and you can choose up to five of them. Now I understand there may be a name you would prefer be nominated, but remember we're trying to predict what will actually happen, not what we hope will happen so these are the nine you get to choose from.
Predict the Five Best Supporting Actress Nominees at the 2013 Oscars
- Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables) (753 Votes)
- Sally Field (Lincoln) (713 Votes)
- Helen Hunt (The Sessions) (678 Votes)
- Amy Adams (The Master) (605 Votes)
- Nicole Kidman (The Paperboy) (320 Votes)
- Maggie Smith (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) (286 Votes)
- Ann Dowd (Compliance) (148 Votes)
- Judi Dench (Skyfall) (144 Votes)
- Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) (109 Votes)
Total Voters: 870
Vote away and let's see how this turns out. Tomorrow I'll have my final predictions before Thursday morning's Oscar nominations and just maybe you'll be able to push me in the "right" direction.